Every year, the advertising temptations of the Wednesday Courier leaves many drooling over sharp price drops on technology, tools, and toys. Too often though, we forget the local small businesses who keep more money in our local communities and significantly contribute to local jobs. With that in mind, I wanted to create a “cheat sheet” of how you can shop local this Christmas season, regardless of whom you’re buying for.
Gifts for Kids
- Purchase a membership to the Children’s Museum of Findlay
- Grab a gift certificate for Shady Grove Putt Putt
- Snag some tickets to a local University of Findlay Oilers basketball game, both men’s and women’s.
- Find some unique little toys at the Mazza Museum Gift Shop
- Discover some unique gifts at the Homestead Collection, Dietsch Brothers and even Objects of Desire.
- Find youth apparel at Flag City Printing, Shimmering Belle Boutique or House of Awards
- Find some other great ideas in the Danielle Wilkin’s post “Non-Toy Gift Ideas for Kids in Findlay”
Gifts for Her
- Purchase her some ladies apparel or accessories (or a gift card fellas) from Trends on Main, Shimmering Belle Boutique, Roobarb Studios, The Homestead Collection, The Dressing Room and some of the other countless local boutiques in our town.
- Go grab some unique décor and clever household items at Reick’s Gallery, Objects of Desire, or Roobarb Studios in Downtown Findlay
- Pick her up some tasty treats from Dietsch Brothers, the Wine Merchant or Shirley’s Popcorn (these all could be a win-win gifts)
- Or grab her a gift card from other various merchants like Charming Finds Boutique, one of the downtown Findlay restaurants, or one of the local spas that offer massages.
Gifts for Him
- Get him out of the house with some golf course gift certificates like Hillcrest or Red Hawk Run
- You can’t go wrong with some unique beers from the Wine Merchant or Great Scot on Broad Avenue.
- Outfit him with some local clothes from Flag City Printing
- Snag him a car wash gift certificate from Flag City Auto Wash, Checkers Car Wash, or a full detail from Suntime Professional Auto Detailing
- For the hungry man in your life, grab some unique jerky from the Big Jerk, or better yet, supply him some meats for grilling season with a gift certificate from D&H Meats in Vanlue.
Gifts for those out of state
- Drop-ship local gifts from merchants like Dietsch Brothers, Flag City Printing, RooBarb Studios, Shirley’s Popcorn to family and friends across the globe.
Gifts for others
- Donate to a local non-profit such as the Findlay Hope House, Cancer Patient Services, Awakening Minds Arts, and others that support the local economy and our at-risk neighbors.
- We have a tremendous number of local restaurants that offer gift certificates like Stix, Logan’s Irish Pub and Fins Seafood.
- If you’re entertaining, many local places offer catering (Bistro on Main) and grocery (Great Scot)
- Pickup or order some local Findlay and county apparel from Flag City Printing
There are countless other businesses that have great finds for the holiday season and I encourage you to support them. Together, we can support and sustain the community of entrepreneurs that help make up the great Findlay community.