The Great Karg Well Historical Site marks the location of the natural gas well that launched Ohio’s first major natural gas boom in 1886. Findlay became known as the “City of Light” and drew oil and glass companies to the area, thanks in part to the Great Karg Well.
A plaque was dedicated in 1937 at the site, commemorating Ohio’s giant natural gas discovery, along with a historical monument. At this site is also a parking lot and portage trail at the Liberty Street dam. The Great Karg Well is located along the Blanchard River Greenway Bike Path and is an access point to the Blanchard River Water Trail.