When you meet, or met, Pam Hamlin for the first time it probably wasn’t at her store, it was probably at her job – as an administrator at Findlay City Schools. Pam is first an educator and secondly a small business owner. Throughout the years Pam has made her way through Findlay schools. She taught at two schools, Wilson Vance and Central, and has been an administrator in three, at Central, Bigelow Hill, and her current role at Millstream Career Center. Pam is the Assistant Director at Millstream Career Center, in addition to being the owner of TRENDS! on Main, both which keeps her busy! But she still finds time to be involved in the community. She serves on several boards, including on The Arts Partnership, Raise the Bar, Hancock Youth Leadership, Chamber of Commerce, and University of Findlay Business Affiliates. And when she isn’t busy doing that she is enjoying time with friends and family, attending musical theatre shows and just relaxing. She counts her parents as the most influential people in her life, as well as her mentor. Both taught her to work hard and always be authentic, but not take life too seriously. Plus, her mother also taught her to never leave home without lipstick and earrings!
Hobby, not a Job
Pam has never viewed her store as her career, that is in education. However, it is a very, very fun job. Although Pam has always loved retail, she decided to become involved after her daughter moved to New York City. While she was there Pam found many opportunities to visit her and together they began shopping at the wholesale stores. Pam saw an opportunity to bring the styles to Findlay and TRENDS! on Main was born.
One of the ways Pam has been able to keep Trends! as a hobby is she keeps it fun. While she does all the inventory ordering for the store, and she is able to travel to large cities across the country to purchase items for the shop, she lets her employees do all of the upfront store operations. Pam says she has the best employees that allow her to balance her career, as well as maintain the store. At Millstream Career Center, Pam works every day with students who are preparing for the next steps in the lives, whether it be into the workforce or to further their education. By owning Trends! and working at Millstream she provides students an example of what hard work can achieve, and how to balance it all. Plus, the store feeds her shopping addiction!
Trends! on Main
Trends! on Main is located at 501 S. Main Street at the corner of Main and Sandusky streets. It is recognizable by its bright and fun window displays, which is exactly what the store is like on the inside – bright and fun. For Pam, that was important. She wanted to store to focus on the shopping experience and be a fun place to be. Whether that is buying a prom dress, an outfit for work or a fun night out, or for a girls day out, shopping at Trends! will be sure to be an experience. Pam’s favorite part of owning Trends! is matching different pieces and getting creative with different outfits. Trends! doesn’t carry many lines, it is not about the brand it is about the style, which can be found in every piece in the store.
Quick Fire Findlay Favorites
- Thing about the Findlay and Hancock County community? It is big enough, but can get small when crisis occurs. Very helpful neighbors and friends.
- Place in Findlay? The upper levels of the hospital have a beautiful view of the south end where I grew up
- Local Restaurant? My neighbors, Main Street Deli and Bakers Cafe
- Local treat/guilty pleasure? Love Bread Kneads, from their bread to their cookies!
- Hidden Gem? Millstream Career Center of course….where students can explore their endless possibilities
Fun Facts about Pam
- Hometown: Findlay
- Family: Husband Tim and 4 children
- Years in Findlay: Since I was 3 years old
- Favorite TV Show: This is Us! I can relate to this show on so many levels.
- Favorite Quote: What is popular is not always right; what is right is not always popular! I say this to students all the time.
- Favorite Holiday Tradition: Christmas Eve at my mom’s with the house decorated, luminaries, candles and jumbo shrimp!
- Favorite Holiday Decoration: White lights under crisp, white snow